Solutions for Volume 1 > Terra Cognita
Solutions for “Terra Cognita”
Content: Countries grouped by common characteristics.
Special rules: Find the sets of countries in the puzzle that meet the quantities and descriptions given. The sets are straight-line chains in the grid. The countries in a set can be in any order.
Hints: If there were ever a puzzle in the book to do with friends, this is it.
- What countries make up the “words”?
- What country is that map?
- 4 countries with land inside the Arctic Circle
- 3 major Axis powers of World War II
- 4 “BRIC” countries
- 4 non-African countries that straddle the Tropic of Cancer
- 10 European countries using the Euro as their official currency
- 8 countries with red and white flags
- 7 countries with four-letter names in English
- 7 countries where French is an official language
- 7 G20 countries with prime ministers
- 4 countries of the Himalayas
- 5 landlocked European countries
- 3 present-day countries where ancient Mayans lived
- 3 European microstates
- 5 hereditary monarchies in Asia
- 7 original NATO countries
- 3 countries that border Niger
- 4 countries through which the Nile and its tributaries flow
- 3 Asian countries that have hosted Olympic Games
- 6 present-day countries once part of the Ottoman Empire
- 3 countries where childhood polio is endemic
- 5 most populated countries in North America after the US
- 7 countries with populations over 100 million in 2011
- 4 countries where Portuguese is an official language
- 5 Saharan countries
- 7 countries with the highest sheep population in 2007
- 4 countries with a Shiite Muslim majority
- 3 Slavic countries
- 5 South American countries lying entirely south of the Equator
- 3 island nations of the South Pacific
- 4 countries whose names end in -stan
- 5 countries where Sunni Muslims are the majority
- 5 countries most visited by international tourists in 2011
- 4 “United” countries, in official name
- 5 permanent members of the United Nations Security Council
- 8 countries with the letter z in their English names
Oops: In the first printing, Azerbaijain should be the country on the right-hand page in the third row from the bottom and second column from the right.